Re: [CH] Vitamin C

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 11:51:20 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, green56 wrote:

> So.  Bell peppers have tons o'vitamin C?  More'un oranges., even?

I was under the impression that fresh peppers had the highest weight/Vit.
C ratio of any veggie or fruit.  The stuff was discovered in a pepper,
after all.

> Also, I think it was Virginia, that asked what a Gyspy is...
>
> Father Jim could prolly xplain better as he grows them, but I can give
> you my warped xplination...
>
> They're green peppers - chiles, but deserving o'that title! - and look
> kind'a like a cow's horn, but don't curve as much as a horn - if THAT
> makes any sense!  But, that's what they remind me of.  They're bigger
> around than Annahiems (sp?), and usually shorter.  The bottom - tip -
> has two to three gently rounded lobes.
>
> The heat level is just barely warm, if that.  A hint of heat...  A
> suggestion of it.

Um, I think they are supposed to be relatively heatless.  but Jim Campbell
The Oneth included a few in a flat I got from him last year.   I've grown
them several seasons and was happy to put them in the garden where I pick
them while i wirk (WIRK?) for snacks,...

But the ones JCTO gave me were, um, a bit spicy.  I took a big gnaw out of
the first one and had to spit it out because I was unprepared for the
heat.   They were standard jalapeno hot.  I can eat that stuff but i want
some warnings first so I don't inhale while it's going down--makes me
throat sieze up.

I have no idea why those were hot bcause the ones in my yard were barely
detectable, if at all.

carp