Re: [CH] Mango salsa

Dana H. Myers (myers@West.Sun.COM)
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 14:44:17 -0800 (PST)

Alda wrote:

> I have a question about making Mango Salsa.  I have come across a few recipes
> (some they call it Mango Chutney).  I would like to try it--last time I
> bought a mango, really the first time!! I started to peel it and found it to
> be mostly pit, I was very surprised by its exterior, and found very little
> fruit, after all that hard work, I chopped it as best as I could and put it
> in my food processor and some how it was even too hard for that and didn't
> process to a puree consistency.
>
> HELP what do I do to make it puree to make salsa? should I boil it in water
> first or try to buy canned ones?

I've made mango salsa a few times, the mango is pain to prepare.  I
peel it, trying not to remove too much fruit, then cut the fruit off of
the pit cutting at a tanget to the pit all over the fruit.

I don't puree; instead, I dice the fruit and make something much like a
conventional pico salsa, using a red onion for color.  Don't neglect to
salt the salsa; it really helps meld the component flavors.

Dana  K6JQ
Dana@Source.Net