Re: [CH] Educate me

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 12:52:11 -0500

At 11:02 AM 1/21/98 EST, Fieryfood wrote:
>Ran across a couple of things over the holidays I'm not familiar with, and
>decided to come to the experts!
>
>1. A customer originally from the East Coast told me that the sub shops (ie
>grinders, hero sandwiches, etc) have something they just call "hots" for
>putting on the sandwiches. The clerk will ask "Do you want hots?" So what
kind
>of sauce is "hots"? Is it a specific brand or some generic concoction made up
>by each restaurant? Or is it that (dare I say it?) Tabasco sauce? Any of you
>on the East Coast know what this is? Sounds like something we could enjoy on
>our sammiches here in Seattle!

The best I could guess is that sub shops routinely offer ground or sliced
hot cherry peppers for adding to the sandwich.  My general gripe is that
they don't often remove the stems before tossing them in the slicer, and
these chewy little woody bits find their way onto the sub.

                          =Mark

@   http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens   @

Where ya' from?
                           Jersey.