Re: [CH] Educate me

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 13:36:45 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, =Mark wrote:

> At 11:02 AM 1/21/98 EST, Fieryfood wrote:
> >Ran across a couple of things over the holidays I'm not familiar with, and
> >decided to come to the experts!
> >
> >1. A customer originally from the East Coast told me that the sub shops (ie
> >grinders, hero sandwiches, etc) have something they just call "hots" for
> >putting on the sandwiches. The clerk will ask "Do you want hots?" So what
> kind
> >of sauce is "hots"? Is it a specific brand or some generic concoction made up
> >by each restaurant? Or is it that (dare I say it?) Tabasco sauce? Any of you
> >on the East Coast know what this is? Sounds like something we could enjoy on
> >our sammiches here in Seattle!
>
> The best I could guess is that sub shops routinely offer ground or sliced
> hot cherry peppers for adding to the sandwich.  My general gripe is that
> they don't often remove the stems before tossing them in the slicer, and
> these chewy little woody bits find their way onto the sub.

Yeah, it's like a chopped up red hot cherry pepper, complete with seeds,
chopped up about the consistency of green relish, although maybe slightly
more liquid.

FWIW, it's a good addition to a tunafish salad sub, although it sounded
strange to me at the time.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas