Re: [CH] sort of off topic- cats and plants

Steve Ross (snross@mtu.edu)
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 14:17:58 -0500

At 01:25 PM 1/27/98 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 26/01/98  22:53:55,  jsmillie@protix.com writes:
>
><< Some time ago, somebody on this list was mentioning a method of keeping
>
> animals ( I believe it was jackrabbits, but I ditched the message so
can't be

> sure) off plants by spraying them with a dilution of hot sauce and water.
>

> The dilemma I'm having is: Would this be too cruel a method to employ in
>
> controlling my cat's desire to munch on the plant? <<
>

>Yes
>

>>> Comments/suggestions/animal rights diatribes/alternatives?   >>
>
>I have heard that a bicycle inner tube laid by the plant can fool a cat into
>thinking that there is a snake lurking and scares it off. Howevr if you
have a
>cat with a reasonable level of feline intelligence..
>
>Jonathan

Who in the hell wants a big old black innertube sitting on their floor.
Not only that but you'd have to have one incredibly stupid cat to think a
black inner tube is a snake.  Follow your instincts and stick with the
pepper spray.  The cat will learn quickly.