Re: [CH] My Naivete' / My Apologies

David Wright (dtwright@texas.net)
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 13:05:23 -0600 (CST)

At 12:35 PM 1/27/98 EST, David wrote:

>I wonder how much of the same type of mail Calvin got when he offered free
>samples of his powder.  I have seen nothing but positive replies, but the
>offer was to get people to try the powder, and to buy it if they liked it.
>Not really much different than John's except Calvin offered us something for
>free.

I thought there was a big difference. Calvin let us know that he was ready
to have people try something he'd been working on as a personal project in
his home garden, and asked for our advice. It was only after we,
collectively, agreed that it was pretty good stuff that he offered it for
sale. John, OTOH, wrote in his first message:

"Two weeks ago, I got involved in a company that is marketing Gourmet
chile products/salsas grown and produced in this state, the "Land of
Enchantment". As of now we are marketing three types of salsas, ..."

There's a big difference between Calvin's and John's posts, IMO, and we've
already heard from John that he hadn't lurked for a while to find out what
we're about. His message sounded to me like those "Get rich quick" posts in
newsgroups that begin "I was browsing these groups just as you are and ..."

>I would
>hope that we all can show a little patience with one another and kindly
remind
>rather than blast.

I thought we were amazingly patient, given the flaming I've seen in some
newsgroups. That's why I prefer lists, such as this one.

David