Re: [CH] Thai's vs. Habs

Harry Jiles (harryo@dave-world.net)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 20:29:47 +0000

> Date:          Wed, 28 Jan 1998 15:40:39 +0000
> From:          Jim Campbell <mwph2hot@indy.net>
> Subject:       Re: [CH] Thai's vs. Habs

> difference where the burn occurs with different peppers.  On a more jaded
> note though, you might note that this guy uses his own invented heat units,
> and the seeds are coincidentally sold by their company.  Go figure.
> According to my own Heat Testing Methods, my own brand of Peppers scored
> three times hotter than habs and can only be bought from me.  Yeah, right.
> I have yet to see the claim backed up by independent methods.

Also, you will note that he charges $2.50 for the pamphlet explaining
the methods of determining his own hottness scale.  If you look at
his chart rating chiles, you will also note that his method also
gives higher values for dried chiles than for fresh ones, and that
the dried habs are actually hotter than the dried thai chiles,
according to his scale.  The hottest chile on his scale is the tepin,
for which he also sells seeds and powder.  IMHO, I think his own
invented heat scale was developed mainly for one reason, that being
to maximize his profit in selling his tepin seeds and powder.  As Jim
said, there appears to be no unbiased scientific data to validate his
rating methods.

Harry