Re: [CH] Can anyone ID these chiles?

Michael Bailes (frgntgar@ozemail.com.au)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 00:05:01 +1100

At 11:02 PM +1100 7-2-98, Herman H. Fredriksson wrote:
>In a previous letter J.B Cattley wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone ID the chiles I have a picture of at http://www.mpx.com.au/~jbc
>> for me? I've never seen pictures of them anywhere. They are generally
>> boring, with virtually no veins, so all the heat is in the placenta. The one
>> I ate last night, (after scanning it...) was really disgusting. Rough as
>> guts, tasted like old airconditioning ducting. Fairly hot centre, also
>> decidedly rough. No hab flavour, just hot. (others of this variety have been
>> much better, but never found good flavour and heat in the same one, though)
>> Sold here (oz) as 'Bell chillies'  Any clue as to species name/variety/any
>> other info?
>>
>Hi,
>	If these are the same ones that can be bought as "Bell Chillies"
>in most supermarkets in Sydney (including woolworths) then they are
>Capsicum Baccatum as described by someone earlier as Capsicum Baccatum
>cv. 'Peri Peri'. And as I pointed out in my previous post they are the
>same as the "Bishops Crown".
>
>Regards,
>	Herman
>--
>Herman
Is this what you are talking about?
Bi-Bell  H
Joker's Hat / Rocotillo
	Heat 1 and 7	Baccatum	Pod colour lime - russet to
orange/red	 Extraordinary chilli. Cold  resistant.  Continuous heavy
bearer.  Tall growing bush - up to 2m tall x 1m wide   The outer flesh of
the pod has no heat, however  the pod  is full of very hot placenta. Nice
sweet capsicum flavour.  It is a self seeding perennial in our garden
growing almost 2m.  Very attractive garden plant. Unusual bell/ joker's hat
shaped pod.
We have grown it for many years and it is a favourite.

Michael Bailes,  The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250
Australia. (OZ) Int fax 61 243 651979  Phone 61 243 677322
 EMAIL: frgntgar@ozemail.com.au  Web page at:
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~frgntgar/
1998 Chilli Festival 8/9 March.
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~frgntgar/chili/festival1998.html