Re: [CH] Can anyone ID these chiles?

Herman H. Fredriksson (herm@newt.phys.unsw.edu.au)
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 23:02:56 +1100 (EST)

In a previous letter J.B Cattley wrote:

> Can anyone ID the chiles I have a picture of at http://www.mpx.com.au/~jbc
> for me? I've never seen pictures of them anywhere. They are generally
> boring, with virtually no veins, so all the heat is in the placenta. The one
> I ate last night, (after scanning it...) was really disgusting. Rough as
> guts, tasted like old airconditioning ducting. Fairly hot centre, also
> decidedly rough. No hab flavour, just hot. (others of this variety have been
> much better, but never found good flavour and heat in the same one, though)
> Sold here (oz) as 'Bell chillies'  Any clue as to species name/variety/any
> other info?

Hi,
	If these are the same ones that can be bought as "Bell Chillies"
in most supermarkets in Sydney (including woolworths) then they are
Capsicum Baccatum as described by someone earlier as Capsicum Baccatum
cv. 'Peri Peri'. And as I pointed out in my previous post they are the
same as the "Bishops Crown".

Regards,
	Herman
--