Re: [CH] Article on U.S. interest in importing habaneros

Steve Tanner (stanner@a-o.com)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 08:44:52 -0400

carlos m navarro wrote:

> Hi fellow CH-heads:  I came across an interesting article in the Mexican
> news wire Notimex.  The article, which quotes the Mexican Agriculture
> Department, says U.S. companies have visited Yucatan to look into the
> possibility of importing habaneros.  The companies would use the habs both

> Anyway, for those of you who read Spanish, the article follows...
>
> Carlos
> Albuquerque
>
> INTERESADOS ESTADUNIDENSES EN IMPORTAR CHILE HABANERO DE YUCATAN
>
> Mérida, Yuc. 18 Mar (Notimex).- Empresas estadunidenses están interesadas en

Just to see how it works, I put the Spanish text from the above into the
Altavista Translator.
http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate?
What came out was a rather stinted, but readable batch of text in
English. Not exactly as we would speak or write it, but good enough to
get the meaning of the article.

One of the things I learned was that habanero oil was used in the
manufacture of boats. How, I don't know, but the next time a fiberglass
boat seat starts to get a little warm, I'll think hab.

May El Grande bestow his blessing upon you. :{)
--
Steve Tanner
Tarheel Steve's Pots, Pans, & Poetry