Subject: Re: [CH] Article on U.S. interest in importing habaneros

carlos m navarro (navarroc@unm.edu)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 14:58:23 -0700 (MST)

> Just to see how it works, I put the Spanish text from the above into the
> Altavista Translator.
> http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate?=20
> What came out was a rather stinted, but readable batch of text in
> English. Not exactly as we would speak or write it, but good enough to
> get the meaning of the article.
>=20
> One of the things I learned was that habanero oil was used in the
> manufacture of boats. How, I don't know, but the next time a fiberglass
> boat seat starts to get a little warm, I'll think hab.

> One of the things I learned was that habanero oil was used in the
> manufacture of boats. How, I don't know, but the next time a fiberglass
> boat seat starts to get a little warm, I'll think hab.
>=20
> May El Grande bestow his blessing upon you. :{)

Steve:   We too got a chuckle from the mention of
habanero oil use in boats  (or would it be shipbuilding?). Sounds
peculiar.   I heard the Babel site sometimes come through with weird
translations.  In this case, we can't blame it on Babel.  The Notimex
story really said hab oil uses for "boats."

For all we know, this usage of hab oil may be legitimate.  An additive to
boat fuel?  A favorite ingredient for chefs on luxury cruises?  An
incentive for shipbuilders to become more productive (provided they are
chileheads). The possibilities are unlimited....  I'll let you know what
Dave says.

Carlos
Albuquerque