[CH] nopalitos

Steven L. thomas (sthomas@seidata.com)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 09:58:49 -0400

>From: Bob Pierce <al999@lafn.org>
>Subject: Re: [CH] Nopalitos

>> A way I was taught to prepare nopalitos in Mexico was thus-

snip

>How does one prepare the fresh cactus leaf?

I suppose I could check with my neighbors MIL who made up a plate of
nopales (a damn fine cook she is) for me, but she does not speak english
and I don't speak spanish.

Any suggestions?

Yes, if I remember correctly, cut the spines off the cactus if they haven't
been by sliding a sharp knife across the leaf and taking the tops off the
"pimples" where the spines grow, then cut into strips.  To expediate the
cooking, you can parboil the strips, or rajas, in salted water to
tenderize!  Then cook as above.  I probably should have included this part
in the original post!

Steve