Re: [CH] Chile Shelf Life?

Ron M (swamp@netten.net)
Wed, 08 Apr 1998 17:38:18 -0500

Steve,

It's the Clostridium botulinum that forms spores, not the Sallmonellas.
The Toxins of the Clostridium are easily killed by high heat, but the
spores require moist heat at high pressure( like a autoclave or pressure
cooker) to be killed. Salmonella doesn't form spores and is easily
killed by high heat. Salmonella poisoning usually occurs when cooked
food is contaminated and allowed to sit at room temp.

Richard W. Stevens wrote:

> Cooking the hell out of a food product will USUALLY kill any bacteria, their
> spores, and denature the protein toxins that they produce.  Some of these,
> like botulinum bacteria and their toxins are easy to destroy.  Others, like
> salmonella spores, can require long term boiling.  If it's just for
> yourself, and you don't ming reducing your chile to a sodden mass, you might
> want to take a chance.  In general, though, the "When in doubt..." rule is
> best, and a must if others are involved.
>
> :{ Rich in Va.
> http://www.erols.com/richstev
> Photo Trend Enterprises- A Restaurant Service Company

Ce qui? Tout que j'ai demandé était quelques
 cuisses de GRENOUILLE?

(What? All I asked for was some FROG legs?)