Re: [CH] Tonight's dinner

John M. Hartman (Hartman@Indy.net)
Sun, 17 May 1998 05:41:27 -0500

--=====================_895419687==_

At 07:19 PM 5/16/98 -0500, David Wright wrote:
>Here's what I did for myself tonight, considering that my wife and true
>love is out of town for the weekend and that she is neither a fan of
>oysters nor a CH.
>
>I fried some bacon while I cleaned a supermarket-determined bunch of
>spinach and left it wet while I chopped three cloves of garlic and put them
>into another frying pan along with some olive oil. Then I drained a
>container of raw oysters and coated them with masa harina while I added a
>little oil to the bacon pan and re-heated that. Both pans hot, started the
>spinach and garlic and covered it and reduced the heat when it started to
>wilt. Fried the oysters in the bacon drippings/oil. Put the garlic-spinach
>into a Chinese noodle bowl and topped it with the oysters. Slathered the
>whole thing with Sontera Habenero sauce and washed it down with a Shiner
>Bock or two. Ahhhhh. I miss her, but this makes it easier.

Here it is, Sunday morning and I am already starting Sunday dinner for a
command performance....  Mom and her significant other are coming for
dinner.... a red letter day.  She is 78 and he is 82.  Both are
chile-heads... going on 35.  Well, today it's homemade chicken and noodles
(bland), but the mustard greens, well, that's something else.  I cook them
at a slow simmer for about three hours with about 1/3 pound of finely diced
pork jowl, salt and two dried long red Cayennes, crushed and destemmed.
For the condiment to add to the greens, in good southern fashion, I use my
11 year-old daughter, Stafford's, recipe. here it is....

--=====================_895419687==_

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Chicken Claw Vinegar
 Categories: Condiments, Peppers, Sauces, Southern
      Yield: 1 Pint

           Chicken Claw Peppers (enough
           To fill a pint jar)
      1 ts Salt
    3/4 pt White distilled vinegar

  Wash ripe peppers thoroughly.  Ripe Chicken Claw Peppers are bright
  orange in color.  Remove stems.  Fill a pint jar with peppers.  This
  is for measurement.  To 3/4 pint of vinegar add the salt and mix
  until dissolved. The pint jar may be used for storage, but it is
  better if the peppers are put into recycled, delabled, soy sauce,
  pepper sauce or other similar bottles that have the small plastic
  pouring cap over the larger opening in the glass bottle.  The peppers
  should be inserted into the bottles until full.  Add vinegar and salt
  mixture until the peppers are covered. Replace the plastic cap and
  screw on the outer cap. Let sit for at least three weeks before use.
  When the vinegar is used up, a similar vinegar and salt mixture may
  be added again and the peppers reused.

  This is an excellent condiment for any table.  It is especially good
  on greens, eggs, or fish.

                                  Stafford Hartman
                                  Indianapolis, IN
                                  July 1996