Re: [CH] Too hot to eat - I'll admit it

Ray Pfaff (raypfaff@erols.com)
Wed, 20 May 1998 08:02:27 -0400

martino@indcomp.com.au wrote:

> G'day Ch's,
>
> Guess I'll have to admit to being caught out with heat tolerance at one of our local Indian
> restaurents.

There's only been one  time I had something too hot and I did it to myself.  When I first moved to Korea
(lived there 2 years) I was treated to Mongolian barbeque.  At the end of the line I spotted a can of
dried red peppers and thought that they were normal red peppers.  When I got my dish back I had my first
experience with Korean hot peppers.  I loved it and ate about half, but just couldn't finish.One other
time I was nearly "burned out", but managed to finish it.  I was in Thailand and ordered some soup.  Up
to this point I'd discovered that the Thais see a westerner comming and automatically cook your food as
unspicey as possible.  Anyway, I get the soup and it's really hot.  I get the runny nose and sweats and
the compliment the watress for bringing me something with some spice in it.  She replies that she told
the cook to leave most of the heat out.  The only thing I can think of is that the bowl normally comes
out flamming :-)