Re: [CH] Smoking and other deviant pleasures

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Wed, 27 May 1998 13:51:35 -0400

At 12:46 PM 5/27/98 EDT, YYZkid@aol.com wrote:
>In regards to chile smoking, Bear wrote:
>
>>Soak the wood in water before placing it on the coals so the
>>wood will burn slower and create more smoke.  The barbecue
>>vents should be opened only partially to allow a small
>>amount of air to enter the barbecue, thus preventing the
>>fires from burning too fast and creating too much heat.
>
>Please indulge me for a spell. Although I've never smoked chiles (that will
> soon change) I would strongly advise against over-smoking *any* foods. Until
> recently, I used to smoke meats and wonder why they always had a very bitter
> flavor. Here's why, according to Clark "Smokey' Hale--author, publisher, and
> barbecue chef.

Members of the BBQ mailing list have put together an online FAQ of BBQ info
that is pretty staggering in it's volume and scope.  A new updated version
is on the horizon also.  It can be viewed at:

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq/foreward.html

                                                    =Mark

                      @ http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens @
                                        @ ICQ# 2059548 @

                        I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me
                                   than a pre-frontal lobotomy...