Re: [CH] Smoking and other deviant pleasures

Jim Bardsley (bardsljr@umdnj.edu)
Wed, 27 May 1998 15:26:47 -0100

This is a very helpful website and I've been on the monthly BBQ mailing list for a
while now.

With reference to smoked foods taking on abitter flavor, there are typically three
reasons:

    1) the smoking wood had bark.

Try to separate or shave off the bark from any wood you use.

    2) fire got too hot

This can cause a sooty taste or can also cause the items your smoking to
caramalize or cook too much, influencing the flavor.

    3) oversmoking.
(Already covered.)

Jim