Re: [CH] chilli in LA & New Mexico

Jody L. Baze (jody@BlueSkyTours.COM)
Thu, 28 May 1998 12:58:45 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Barbara wrote:

> I'm an Australian chilli head and will be visiting the USA in August. Do
> you know where I can get an ace bowl of chilli in Los Angeles, Sante Fe
> and Albequerque?

Can't comment about LA and Santa Fe (well, I _could_ make a stab at Santa
Fe, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be well researched) but I'll make a couple of
suggestions for Albuquerque.

If you're looking for a good bowl of green chile stew, try any of the
Garcia's around town (there's several). If you're looking for Mexican
food recommendations, try Los Cuates. Beto's is also a great little mom &
pop place if you're up in the NE Heights area. If you're downtown near
lunchtime, try M&J Sanitary Tortilla Factory (no, I did *not* just make that
up). Good food and good atmosphere can be had at Gardunos, several of those
around town, too.

> Also do you know of any chilli fairs or festivals in these areas between
> 19-30 August?

None that I know of - little too early for the big chile harvests - seems
like the festival in Hatch is September-ish (somebody please correct me if
I'm wrong).

> Are there any chilli suppliers in these areas that you know of - ie. from
> dried chilli to salsas and sauces.

Most grocery stores carry dried NM red chiles of varying quality. The Chile
Addict is a nice store that has bunches of salsas, hot sauces, and
chiles. They can probably hook you up with whatever you need. Also a place
in the Winrock mall that's smaller, but convenient.

Hope that helps a little!

JLB
--
Jody L. Baze                 Blue Sky Tours, Inc.
Software Development         10832 Prospect Avenue N.E.