[CH] To boldly go...

YYZkid@aol.com
Thu, 28 May 1998 14:54:52 EDT

Rich wrote:

>With all due respect to “Smokey” the BBQ chef...when you’re making
>chipotles you’re not smoking sausages or BBQing ribs, you’re using
>low heat and lot’s of smoke in a very slow drying process.

>My chipotles have always come out pungent and smokey without a hint
>of bitterness.  Smoking meat or sausages and smoking chiles is not
>the same thing.  Trust me, a handfull of soggy hickory chips ain’t
>gonna make it!

What might cause the jalapeno to take on a pungent flavor rather than a
 smooth, woodsy character? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?  :)

This still doesn't change the fact that noxious chemicals are being deposited
 onto said chiles. I found it hard to believe, too, but the proof is in the
 tasting. Skepticism aside, it is definitely worth a try.

My point? Some of the world's greatest sauces were unquestionably the result
 of numerous prior failures. It would serve us well in the cooking world to
 keep an open mind while we search for the ultimate recipe, whether you're a
 well-versed chile freak or an everyday, common "BBQ chef."

**

So my dilemna was certainly common: chicken cutlets *again* and not much in
 the cupboard to prepare them with. Pot luck left me with fat-free raspberry
 vinaigrette, olive oil, brown sugar, sesame seeds and some hab powder. So I
 put about a cup of the dressing in a bowl, added a tb of the oil, a tb of
 brown suger, a half ts of hab powder and a tb of sesame seeks which I first
 toasted in a fry pan. I marinated the chix in the stuff for about an hour and
 grilled them till done. I also basted some skewered apples with the marinade,
 browned the skins and served them over the chix. It was outstanding. Next time
 I make it I'll go out and get some fresh berries and make a real marinade...

Kid

"Better people, better food, better beer."   --Rush