Re: [CH] copyright violation

edmiston (edmiston@wardpress.com)
Mon, 01 Jun 1998 22:44:35 +0000

Mary Going wrote:

> I received an "award" from Password Internet, and went to check it out.
> They have magazines online, which they invite people to create, and which
> they are "borrowing" from other people.

[snip]

They are using frames. You
> click on something in the left frame, for example a link to my web site,
> and POOF, my site is sitting there in the middle of their frames, the top
> frame sporting revenue-generating advertising.

Mary and others:

There is precedent for this kind of linking violating US copyright law.
About a year and a half ago, some major publishing company (was it
Newsweek?) took some mickey-mouse Web news service to task for exactly
this sort of behaviour. They either won or scared the news service well
enough to cause it to "cease and desist."

I wish I could remember the actual names of the companies involved (damn
this crappy short-term memory -- where's my ginkgo?) but I do remember
the case being discussed in a very animated manner on the World Wide Web
Artists Consortium list (search the WWWAC archives, if they exist). I
also vaguely remember a similar dispute between Microsoft's Sidewalk and
Ticketmaster.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I wanted to let you (and your
attorney) know that you can sue their ass if you like. Yes, the Web is
new, but "new media law" is evolving almost as quickly.

- Edmiston aka Nick (not always bitchin' and moanin') Riviera