Re: [CH] Pickled Jalapenos

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Tue, 02 Jun 1998 18:10:05 -0500

Lorraine, et al-
I couldn't resist pitching a couple of centavos in here.  Our local Taco
Bell stores make their own fresh salsa every day, with a label showing time
of preparation and date.  It is the best cafe hot sauce in town by far, and
I eat there regularly (no affiliation, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda).  Since they put
it out on the condiment bar with little plastic cups and a pump dispenser,
they lose their profit margin when I visit.  BTW,  at a Mexican Food
Restaurant, how many of you besides me ask for a glass of salsa when the
waitperson  asks you what you would like to drink?

Lorraine Heidecker wrote:

> That bottle of Taco Bell Hot (sic) Sauce was sent as a horrible example.
> (Lest you think we have no taste at all!) At the time there was much
> outrage and hand-wringing on the lsit about the stuff so we thought we
> would include a bottle in a goodie package to the southern hemisphere so
> they could see what all the fuss was about.  Not opening the bottle was
> probably a VERY wise decision.
>
> Taco Bell has now (minimally) altered their hot sauce offerings.  They
> have three - Mild (basically salted tomato puree with some vineger in it
> - I don't care WHAT the list of ingredients says) Hot (a wee tad spicier
> that the mild) and Fire (a wee tad spicier than the hot).  None of them
> are very good.
>
> I do confess to a great liking for their stuff (especially the new
> gorditias - anybody know where I can get a picture of that dog?) but
> prefer a splash of Cholula on them.  Somehow all Taco Bell stuff needs a
> red sauce to taste good!
>
> Peace, love and peppers
>
> Lorraine

<MAJOR SNIP>