Re: [CH] Haute Cuisine was Chipotle recipe request

Jonathan T. Smillie (jsmillie@protix.com)
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 14:11:45 -0600

At 10:08 AM 11/21/98 -0800, Chris Meredith wrote:
>what really gets my Panties in a bind is the Eateries that advertise
>Chipotle this or Habanero that, that when tasted has a slightly discernable
>flavor but none of the expected heat.

While I have also experienced this, I think we do have to realize that for
the majority of consumers, heat is a sometime and variable thing. Even
those of us on this list who describe their heat tolerance as "moderate"
very likely eat hot food considerably more often and in greater
concentration than the public at large. What to us chile-heads may seem
bland is, to some others, a challenge to eat. This can lead to frustrations
- like Chris's abysmal experience at the restaurant in Oregon- but
restaurants are in business to feed the masses, and most of the masses
think differently about heat than we do. That's why there are hot-sauce
specialty shops, and why most of us on this list are avid cooks- because we
can't get anyone else to make it the way we want it.

This thread started with a complaint about chiles becoming a "food trend".
Unfortunately, that's true; but anything that allows you to add as much
flavor and variety to a dish, with as little in the way of added calories
and fat, as chiles do, is bound to become more widespread over time.
However, those of us on the list, and other devotees of capsaicin, will
still be here, and still eating chiles, long after the rest of the world
has moved on to fat-free yogurt-and-cilantro potato chips, or whatever the
"next big thing" turns out to be.

Chile-Heads: the few, the proud, the clinically insane. I'm glad to be part
of it...

Jonathan

Jonathan Smillie
Installation & Training Team Manager