Re: [CH] Hawaii and camping food

Ed Cutrell (ecutrell@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 11:04:41 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Szwaya, Mike wrote:

> Second, would anyone have some good ideas or recipes for couscous,
> pasta, or other 'one pot' meals I can cook on the trail with ingredients
> I won't be able to refrigerate?  I'll be bringing along a small canister
> of dried pequins & habs for flavor and could use a little direction for
> quick meals other than the old standard mac & cheese.

This depends somewhat on the amount of fuel you have.  If you're trying to
travel ultralight, some of the dehydrated backpacking meals are a good way
to go, esp. if you've got some herbs and spices to make them a little
nicer.

One thing that I often do when I'm treking (backpacking, whatever) is
burritos.  You can get very nice dehydrated refried beans (black are my
favorite) in bulk at most gourmet-Trader Joe's-Whole Foods type places.
Throw those on a tortilla w/ hab flakes and (if you've got another pot)
some couscous--delicious!  Depending on how long I'll be on the trail I'll
sometime bring some cheese along as well.

A related thing that requires a bit more fuel (and canned tomato sauce) is
to make chilli using any of a number of prepackaged chilli mixes you can
get in supermarkets. Again, you can use dehydrated beans with this to make
a great meal, esp. if you can cook up some noodles (ramen or pasta) before
hand.  Letting the noodles get cold is no problem--the chilli warms
everything up!

ed