Re: [CH] Re: Lights

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:11:13 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Robert L wrote:

> I remember reading somewhere (Dave DeWitt?), that using foil to redirect
> light is not a good idea because the foil will most likely be wrinkled
> and these wrinkles create hot spots of directed light back to the
> plants.  Metal sheeting or silver painted surfaces are therefore
> preferable to foil.

I don't think this is true, especially if the foil is an inch or more away
from the plant.  Crumpled foil may be harder to keep clean as the creases
will tend to accumulate dirt.  (I haven't tried any of this, but I am an
engineer and have worked with optics etc in the past).

>     I have used white board (white foam board found at art stores) to
> bounce light back to my plants with great sucess.

Covering those boards with shiny aluminum foil would probably reflect more
light, but whatever works.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas