[CH] (Fwd) Re: Spices inhibits growth of bacteria?

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:22:07 +0100

Dear friends,

Got the following comments from FoodSafe, so far. Names are withheld
since I have no approval for crossposting. Seems I have to
apologize...  there is sure a certain antibacterial effect in some of
the spices. But we should be well aware that the actual cooking of
the food is what really kills the germs.

Keep eating spicy food....  at least it will not hurt you... (well,
maybe temporarily...  now where is my Righteous hab sauce...)

Kristofer

--------------------
Yes, some spices have antimicrobial activity due to specific
chemicals r essential oils.  Eugenol in cloves, allicin in garlic,
cinnamic aldehyde and eugenol in cinnamon, allyl isothiocyanate in
mustard, sage, pepper and oregano also have some natural
antimicrobial substances in it. Japanese enjoy sushi with horseradish
which has strong antibacterial activity. But we can not depend on
these spices to suppress harmful bacteriasince the activity is too
weak.  Dry spices usually carry spores of _Bacillus_ and moulds. Food
must be kept safe by proper cooking and cold storage.

-------------------------

At 07:21 AM 1/28/99 +0100, Kristofer wrote:
> I know that garlic has a
> mildly inhibiting effect on some bacteria, but the rest is bullshit,
> isn't it?

Not precisely. All the Allia have some antimicrobial activity, but
fresh garlic has the most. Amongst the herbs and spices, rosemary is
most effective.

The antibiotic allicin in garlic has been recently been synthesized,
so it will probably be brought to market as a pharmaceutical. The
active ingredient in rosemary (thymol) is used as an antimicrobial in
pH buffers and is the active ingredient in the mouthwash Listerine.

Some of these antimicrobials, such as allicin, are labile, so are
present only in fresh plants, not in the processed version.

> I always lived in the belief that many spices acutally are a big
> SOURCE of bacteria, and for that reason are irradiated before
> packing. For instance there has been debate in Sweden about the
> safety of the practice to sell things like fresh beef already
> seasoned with e.g. paprika and black pepper.

This is also true. Black pepper is used as a control source of many
types of spores (Bacillus and Clostridria). Most natural spices carry
very high bacterial loads.

> Seems as though seasonings kill germs. Those from hot climates
> (where food spoils faster) use seasonings that pack the most
> "antimicrobial" punch. Garlic, onion, allspice and oregano kill or
> inhibit growth of all gems while hot peppers, tarragon and cumin
> ELIMINATE most.

Actually, hot peppers are not as effective as garlic and aromatics.

> Our ancestors must have realized that certain seasonings kept
> people healthier. Maybe that's why some of us who use the hot stuff
> on a regular basis seem to be avoiding the flu and colds while our
> coworkers and compadrès get sick.

Herbs and spices are also loaded with nutritious substances and
antioxidants. They are probably the most nutritionally dense food,
pound for pound. (Unless you don't count parsley as an herb!)

There have been some reports on the connection between fresh garlic
consumption and lowered gastric ulcers.