Re: [CH] Why Some Like Hot

Michael Bailes (frgntgar@ozemail.com.au)
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:36:17 +1100

At 6:51 AM +0000 28/1/99, Rain wrote:
>-> I read this little tidbit and thought it might be of interest.  Seems as
>-> though seasonings kill germs.  Those from hot climates (where food spoils
>-> faster) use seasonings that pack the most "antimicrobial" punch.  Garlic,
>-> onion, allspice and oregano kill or inhibit growth of all gems while hot
>-> PEPPERS, tarragon and cumin ELIMINATE most.
>True.  My Venezuelan uncle says the other reason people in hot climates
>like chiles is the break-a-sweat effect; sweating helps people stay
>cool.  Sounds plausible to me.
Chillies also reduce body temperature as well.and Apart from sweating
Exactly how this happens is not known.

Michael Bailes.
Herbarist
The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250 Australia. (OZ)
International fax 61 243 651979          Phone 61 243 677322
Bookshop, nursery, media, school, garden, medical herbalist, cafe, herbal
products, gift gallery, insanity. EMAIL: frgntgar@ozemail.com.au
  	Web page at: http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/
Chilli Festival 1999
At TFG: 5, 6, 7 March  see  http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/chillifestival/