Re: [CH] 1999 Scovie & Chile Pepper Magazine Award Winners

Jody L. Baze (jody@BlueSkyTours.COM)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:16:46 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Dave Hendricks wrote:

> Looks to me like they just give everyone an award, so why
> bother? If the purpose of these awards is something
> meaningful then at least make it look like it. Seems to me that
> they are one big advertisement.

Well, Dave, I'm not saying you're wrong but a lot of people don't understand
just how many entries there are. This show attracts a ton of products!
Still, I would like to see them reduce the number of categories. Although I
think the awards are quite competetive, it *does* all come down to
advertising. I don't personally find them useful in any sense.

> I don't know if I own any award winners because I don't bother to
> check (they probably all have awards "everyone gets at least one")
> but I don't buy them because of that.

Agreed. My experience is that the judge's taste and my taste are sometimes a
lot different. By a mile. And a half! I've never bought a sauce because it
won an award and I've never not bought a sauce because it didn't.

Recommendations from people on this list go a heck of a lot further in my
eye than any award. We have far better taste than any of those judges! :^)

> I have very little habenero based products on the shelf as I really
> don't like them. I think habs are too hot for my taste, I don't like
> the flavor, and they smell bad when I cook with them.

Lots of vendors (by which I mean "just about everybody") had a hab sauce or
three. I noticed quite a few of them were quite mild, though - habs are the
popular pepper, but a lot of people can't take the heat. It's marketing 101.
A lot of "hab" sauces had so little hab in them that I don't think I
would've been able to identify them as such in a blind testing.

Of course, my perception of "mild" might've been influenced by trying Jim's
Backdraft as my first sacue of the show. Yowza, now *that* is hot!

JLB
--
Jody L. Baze                 Blue Sky Tours, Inc.
Director                     10832 Prospect Avenue N.E.