Re: [CH] Best cold tolerant Chillies/annuums

Michael Bailes (frgntgar@ozemail.com.au)
Sun, 2 May 1999 12:31:36 +1100

At 1:54 PM -0700 29/4/99, Brent Thompson wrote:
>In my experience, nearly all C. baccatum cultivars are more tolerant of
>both cool/cold weather above freezing and also frost itself than any
>annuum/frutescens/chinense cultivar.
Yes I agree with the possible exception of the annuums "Serrano" and the Tepin
Serrano is a puzzle. It has an almost hairy leaf a little  like pubescens.
Some feel it has been misplaced botanically. I havent had  a good look at
the flower recently but it looks "annummmy" from memory.
tepin being an old species might be just tough but sometimes its leaves
seem hairy too

Michael Bailes.
The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250 Australia. (OZ)
International fax 61 243 651979          Phone 61 243 677322
  	Web page at: http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/