Re: [CH] Monsanto, GM - a dissent

David C. Yoshiba (av8d-ysb@asahi-net.or.jp)
Sat, 15 May 1999 12:17:46 +0900

This is the only comment that I have on this thread. (I'm not getting
dragged into a possible flame-war!) Part of the reason I write this at all
is some local news.

Recently here in Japan it was announced that the meat and milk of cloned
cattle was put on sale. It was announced AFTER the first shipments were sold
to consumers. No labelling, no warning, no mention of what the consumer was
getting. It just landed on their plates and in their glasses. Apparently,
there is no intention here to require labelling or distinction of any kind
that what individuals are consuming are the products of experimental
animals.

On to chiles.
It is incumbent upon us to work to preserve our own favorite varieties. We
certainly can't expect large corporations to do it for us. I see only two
ways to do this.
1) Buy from reputable people that sell only the "real thing." Don't buy
anything from companies offering glow in the dark chiles. A chile plant that
glows like a Christmas tree might be fun for some college student, but I'm
not going to grow one!
2) Ensure that you can grow your own seed for varieties you really want to
keep. It may require a bit of extra work, but it is better than the future
prospect of having only varieties available that are profitable for some
multi-national. It is people like us that must be on guard.

I have an acquaintance that is active in this arena. If anyone is
interested, please contact me personally and I will try to set up your
connections.

Thanks,

David Yoshiba