Re: [CH] Monsanto, GM - a dissent

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Sat, 15 May 1999 09:52:22 -0400

At 12:17 PM 5/15/99 +0900, David C. Yoshiba wrote:
>This is the only comment that I have on this thread. (I'm not getting
>dragged into a possible flame-war!) Part of the reason I write this at all
>is some local news.
>
>Recently here in Japan it was announced that the meat and milk of cloned
>cattle was put on sale. It was announced AFTER the first shipments were sold
>to consumers. No labelling, no warning, no mention of what the consumer was
>getting. It just landed on their plates and in their glasses. Apparently,
>there is no intention here to require labelling or distinction of any kind
>that what individuals are consuming are the products of experimental
>animals.

This is because the milk of a cloned animal would be 100% identical to the
milk from the cow that the genetic material had come from.  A clone is not
genetically engineered or altered, and would be the same as a natural
identical twin.

I wasn't even aware that cloning had advanced to the degree that it was
anything more than a scientific curiosity, certainly did not know it had
been adopted as a standard business process.

                    =Mark "Runs With Scissors" Stevens

                @ http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens @
                                  @ ICQ# 2059548 @

                Where ya' from?