Re: [CH] Swithched??

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Sun, 16 May 1999 18:34:12 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 16 May 1999, James Campbell wrote:

> But I planted....!!!   On several occasions now, I've gotten strangers.  Two
> vastly different sized Cayennes (2.5" vs 8+") in the same batch of plants;
> and last year's Jals were half Serrano.  Switched before birth, hunh?

Last year I bought these things called "yellow cayennes."  They resembled
no cayenne I've ever seen except maybe for those cowhorns in size--4-6
inches. The "yellows" were a light green and looked suspiciously like
hungarian hot waxes.  But when they turned red and I picked them they were
very meaty with few seeds and they had the distinct cayenne flavor.  They
were the only thing other than various habs that we got enough of to
preserve.  I pureed them in a salt-vinegar mix and pressure canned them.
They made a great cayenne-flavor chile-paste.  I looked all over for them
this year as they are/were so good for canning but couldn't find them.

Ah, well, perhaps in the grabbag flat of saved seeds...

Oh, yeah, Jim, your plants were not "leggy' in any sense I ever used the
wird in:  They were +big+, but when I say "spindly" or "leggy" I mean the
plant looks more like a cucumber sprout than a christmas tree.   ;-)

And Levi still won't touch the "Back Draft."   Something about
"extract"in the ingredients makes him overly cautious.

carpo