RE: [CH] 2 things

The Old Bear (oldbear@arctos.com)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 08:33:10 -0400

In ChileHeads Digest, v.4 Noi. 459, =Mark wrote:

>Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 13:12:05 -0400

The chilepeppermag.com site, I believe, was set up by a web service
or ad agency for the mag just prior to its being sold to its present
ownership.  The new ownership has shown no interest in the web
medium for reasons that I cannot explain, even thought they run a
regular feature of "hot and spicy URLs".  Maybe there is something
cooking on the back burner.

>>Also, I know this has been asked a g-zillion times, whats
>>Durkees famous sauce and does anyone know of a place in the Northern
>>Houston area to get some?
>
>Durkees is just another Tabasco, Crystal, Trappeys cayenne clone and
>should be available at any large supermarket.

I may be wrong, but I believe that Durkee does make a tabasco-like
pepper sauce but "Durkee's Famous Sauce" is white and is a mayonaise
and horseradish and mustard sauce which has been sold for many
years.

See the web page at:

The jar pictured on this page is the institutional size package.  You
can find smaller jars at most supermarkets -- ususally among the
salad dressings, mayonaise and mustard jars.

Someone may be able to provide a recipe for making your own
approximation of this sauce.  It is the kind of thing that one
sees in the newspaper food section "reader looking for recipe"
column from time to time.

Cheers,
The Old Bear