Re: [CH] 20% vinegar

YODA (yoda@clark.net)
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 11:56:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998 FJFATINO@aol.com wrote:

> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 11:09:12 EDT
> From: FJFATINO@aol.com
> To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
> Subject: [CH] 20% vinegar
>
> < [CH] 20% vinegar >>
> Heinz company packs a 5 grain [50%] vinegar in 4/1 gallon cases it may be for
5 grain should be standard 5% vinegar -
if it says 50% anywhere on the package I'd be real surprised.

Food grade vinegars are usually  fermentation products, whereas chemical
grades are usually made by the controlled oxidation of ethylene from
petroleum. You simply can not make a 50% acetic acid solution by
fermentation.

50% would be called glacial acetic acid

--
Jim W     My opinions are just that, not my wife's or my employer's
!!Do not assume that your freedoms are assured!! The truth is out there!