Re: [CH] Spices & hot countries, pepper ID

Michael Bailes (frgntgar@ozemail.com.au)
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 15:53:07 +1000

At 3:34 AM +1000 24/7/98, Paul Richards wrote:
>Bit late on this thread, but wasn't it the Spanish or Portugese who after
>"discovering" them in the Americas, introduced Chiles to the Asian
>countries? I know that the Thai's used large quantities of black pepper in
>their food before chiles were available. Supposedly the use of hot spices
>was to cool the body down.
Spanish
A lot of Chilli was used to make slave ship food edible.This is one way
they spread.+ they were cheaper and would grow in a greater range of
climates than Black Pepper Vine
>Thing I don't understand,is why the Spanish didn't attempt to introduce
 why didn't they get to the UK?
They did.
 Gerard talks about them in his Herbal printed in 1633
When has England/GB ever been known for its quisine? especially the celts -
horsefood (oats) and cow stomachs (Haggis) ??
The French had a lot of unemployed cooks/chefs, who had been employed by
the aristocracy before the Revolution.
So,  while the French Rrevolution invented the middle class
The Chefs went out and invented restaurants so the middle class could eat
like aristocrats.
(Buy the way La Guillotine was invented by the English not the French -
just thought I'd thow that in . I love useless bits of information.)

Michael Bailes.
Herbarist
The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250 Australia. (OZ)
 International fax 61 243 651979 &  Phone 61 243 677322
bookshop, nursery, school, garden, medical herbalist, cafe, herbal
products, gift gallery.
EMAIL: frgntgar@ozemail.com.au  Web page at:
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~frgntgar/