Re: [CH] Harvesting seeds

Bob Batson (bob@sky.net)
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 17:20:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Dan Cole <dcole@roanoke.infi.net> wrote:

> I want to save the seeds from this year's crop to replant next year, but am
> having a hard time removing all the placenta material from the seeds.
> Anyone out there got any tips? Also, If I don't get all the placenta
> material from the seeds, am I risking all my seeds molding during their
> storage period?

[snip]

Pepper seeds can also be cleaned in a blender or food processor. Cut the
stems off the fleshless seed cores, adding enough water to cover the
cores. Blend until the cores disintigrate and thhe seeds are free. Gently
stir the mixture and the good seeds will sink to the bottom. The immature
seeds and flesh fragments will float and can be poured off with part of
the water. Add more water, blend the mixture and pour off more debris, and
repeat until clean.

After all of the debris has been poured off, dump the remaining water and
clean seeds into a strainer. Wipe the bottom of the strainer on a towel
and dump the seeds onto a dish or cookie sheet to dry.

Pepper seeds should be dried awAy from direct sunlight, until the seeds
BREAK when folded. If the seeds bend instead of breaking, additional
drying is needed.

If the seeds arte dried satisfactoraly, you shouldn't have any mo.ld
problems.

Bob Batson                              L 39 12 14 N  94 33 16 W
bob@sky.net                             Kansas City
TCS - Mystic Fire Priest                USDA zone 5b
Under the most controlled conditions, the experimental apparatus will
do exactly as it pleases.