Re: [CH] Portuguese Hot Peppers

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:18:42 -0700

Tom Bryant wrote:

> Hi Dave. I'm new to CH. What is the FIDO thing?

FIDO is a different networking system from the Internet. It's somewhat
similar to mailing lists with moderators. To access FIDO you'll need
terminal software and access to a BBS (either local or through an
internet telnet connection). You'll also want to get some off line
reader software so you can download the mail packets and compose your
replies offline. The FIDO cooking echoes tend to be much friendlier
places from internet news groups.... and from much of FIDO like the
politics echoes.

Many of the members of this list (me, Dave Hughes and Dave Sacerdote to
name a few of the Daves) are also members of National Cooking Echo. We
talk a lot about chiles over there... and other cooking stuff, too.

You can also get FIDO cooking echoes by email attachment via a robot
mailer run by Karen Mintzias (km@salata.com) - that's where I was
sending the reply packet that went astray.

If you wanna do the tel-net thing there are two BBSes that I go to
regularly which are telnettable and *free*. They are got to by typing in
(from a shell prompt) "telnet <bbs telnet designation> [return]

The telnet designations are.....

 bbs.neverending.com
 bbs.docsplace.org
--
Uncle Dirty Dave sez ENJOY!!!

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider and Yaaahoooaahhh! Hot! Sauce!!!