Re: [CH] peanut brittle

marxman (marxman@skynet.be)
Thu, 08 Oct 1998 14:51:58 +0100

T wrote:

> I want to make up a batch of habanero-peanut-brittle, but the recipe I have
> calls for corn syrup, which I'm currently out of and, living in Switzerland,
> isn't easy to find.

Strangely enough, I had found it here in Antwerp ONLY in the local
Chinese
specialty stores... they always seem to have a corner dedicated to odd
lots of
stuff for English ex-patriates and other English speakers like me.... I
also
found a few <lame> "mexican" items, marshmallows, peanut butter, etc.
there, so
see if your area doesn't have one of these little gems.....

Speaking of Peanut Brittle, someone posted, about 1-2 years ago, a
recipe for
microwave brittle. Does anyone still have that, as it made a really nice
hot
brittle... used cashews and almonds and macadamias in it as well.. man,
I am in
the mood for some right NOW!

> Does anyone a) have a peanut brittle recipe that doesn't use corn syrup
>                     b) know how to make corn syrup, or a substitute ?

I tried the same recipe with"golden syrup" but the results were a bit
more
sticky than I would have thought it should be, and VERY hygroscopic....
so I'd
like to know a good substX-Mozilla-Status: 0009s well, please!

Diane