Re: [CH] Peppers in vodka

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:06:01 +0100

On 15 Oct 00, Mark McHugh wrote:

> Yes.  My Russian friends taught me this trick.  You get an icy shot
> that warms in your stomach.  Warm vodka is nasty.

Well, depends. Pure vodka might be best chilled. But flavoured... it
depends. I kinda like my "Fireman's Bitter" (with habs and wormwood)
not too cold, just as other flavours come out much better better at
"cellar temp". Just as I consider ice cold Bud "<expression
withheld>".   ;)

> BTW, vodka is the diminutive of "voda", the Russian word for "water".
> Also, our word "whiskey" comes from the Gaelic for water, "uisce".

> Any other languages out there that use a form of water as their word
> for liquor?

Well, here in Sweden, Denmark and Norway we have "Akvavit" from Latin
"Aqua Vitae" (water of life), same as French "Eau de Vie". Although
in France Eau de Vie normally means destilled wine (brandy), here it
is usually some sort of vodka with flavouring - spices etc.

But, for sure, it does not get RL until you put chiles in it.

Skål och tack,
Kristofer

Kristofer Blennow   Non Sive Sive, Sed Et Et
Physical location: [close to] Stockholm, Sweden
WWW location:       http://www.blennow.se/