[CH] Re: Chile-HeadsDatabase for hotspots

Alex Silbajoris (asilbajo@hotmail.com)
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 12:34:25 GMT

>From: Dave Drum <xrated@famvid.com>

>Would this be different from......
>
>A site for gourmands:
><http://www.chowhound.com/>
>
>Or a clone of it - more or less. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade
>but something very similar may be being done if we stray from hot and
>spicy as an exclusive focus. No objection to it.... just as a lazy
>barstid I hate to see duplication of effort.  <GGG>

Thanks for the link, I finally checked it out and it looks really promising
to a culinary compulsive like myself.

I saw an image map for regional disucssion groups, but I had something
different in mind.  I found a National parks site with a 50-state map, and
their HTML has comments in it with instructions on how to copy it.  Their
page uses java, but I want something simpler.  I just want an image map that
can call a page for each state.  It could be a front-end for a database at
ulupica or firegirl.  Each called page could have an alphabetical listing of
towns and their hot spots, and maybe a Regional listing for places near
town.  The hard part would be to enter all that data at first, then keep it
current.

project - as you say, with a focus on the hot and spicy.  Chowhound is more
general-interest, and we could certainly refer people to it.

Let me tinker in Notepad a little bit and build a basic State page template.
  I have to remember some of the html I learned back in my CompuServe
days...

- A