Re: [CH] fried turkey

Dave Drum (xrated@famvid.com)
Sat, 04 Nov 2000 06:39:17 -0600

Mary & Riley wrote:

> http://www.bbq-porch.org/brining00.asp

> Try brining the bird, ie soaking in a mild salt and seasoning solution
> (sneak in some habs here!) overnight.  I've never deep-fried a turkey, I
> prefer bbq cuz I can't take the fat, but some of these folks have, after
> brining.  One note if you do brine the bird it'll cook faster due to the
> conduction of the salt solution.

> I think there're some good links from this site on turkeys.  Enjoy!

Errrrmmmmm.... I'm going to tilt at that windmill once more. Deep frying
that buzzard does NOT promote fat consumption. The last two turkey
occasions for my extended family we have had deep fried turkey - which
is much faster than roasting - and we kept track of things.

After letting the bird drain back into the cooking vessel and the
pouring the oil back into the original container(s) we found that on one
occasion we had lost about 3 oz. of rape seed oil and on the other
occasion between 3 and 4 ounces. That's really minimal for 20 and 22
pound birds respectively.

I, OTOH, prefer to put the buzzard on a spit and set the grill up as a
smoker and let him ride the ferris wheel for a few hours. I am planning
on doing the recipe in the current Chile Pepper magazine by Marcel
Beinvenue called "Aunt Git's Turkey" or near to that name. But, it ain't
low fat as it uses 1/2 pound of butter just in the preparation to cook
the bird.

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider