Re: [CH] Habanero Jack (was: Bad news!)

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 08:02:53 -0800

Myron Menaker wrote:

> Has anyone tried softening cheddar to a somewhat gooey consistency,
> adding chopped habaneros and then refrigerating until hard again? It
> works with ice cream!

When cheese is melted, at least in my attempts, it changes
consistency and takes on a "grainy" texture when re-hardened.
It tastes fine but doesn't slice or grate well.  I have made
soft chile-cheese spreads by melting some cream cheese then
adding grated cheese and chiles (chopped fresh or dried).
It takes a bit of experimentation to find the right mix of
soft and firm cheese to make a spreadable cheese that can be
used straight from the fridge, but the end result is worth it.
It can be spread on crackers, tortilla roll-ups, or re-melted
for use as a cheese sauce.  Mmmm, mmm...good stuff.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/