[CH] Nacho Cheese Sauce

Virginia Anderson (assembly1@waitrose.com)
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 13:22:48 +0100

Hi Veronica,

(Folks will get us mixed up because of our names.)  Here's an easy dip which
I use over and over again and which could be thickened (less beer?) and
poured over chips for nachos.  It also includes your beloved pickled jalaps
(although not their juice).

Some notes: buy more like 1/2 pound of each cheese if you want that volume
of grated cheese.  Tossing flour and cheese together and then adding to
liquid is an easy way of making all cheese sauces and fondues without Martha
Stewarting out.  You can make the non-cheese sauce and toss the grated
cheese beforehand, then heat the sauce and add the cheese as directed,
whisking it in in bits (this takes no more than a minute or so) when you're
ready for it.

Cheers,

Virginia

CHILE CON QUESO Y CERVEZA
Epicurious website (Gourmet, October 1993)
"Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
"This quick Southwestern cheese dip benefits from a bit of brew in the mix ‹
as it would from a cold Mexican beer enjoyed alongside."

Makes 4 1/2 cups.

2 cups grated sharp Cheddar (about 1/4 pound); 2 cups grated Jarlsberg
(about 1/4 pound); 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour; 1 small onion, minced; 1
tablespoon unsalted butter; 3/4 cup beer (not dark); 1/2 cup drained canned
tomatoes, chopped fine; 1 bottle pickled jalapeño chili, minced (wear rubber
gloves); tortilla chips as an accompaniment.

In a bowl toss the cheeses with the flour and reserve the mixture. In a
large heavy saucepan cook the onion in the butter over moderately low heat,
stirring, until it is softened, add the beer, the tomatoes, and the
jalapeño, and simmer the mixture for 5 minutes. Add the reserved cheese
mixture by 1/2 cupfuls to the beer mixture, stirring after each addition
until the cheeses are melted, serve the dip with the chips.

--
Virginia Anderson
Leicester, UK