Re: [CH] OL-Salsa recipe request

Dana H. Myers (dana@dioxine.com)
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 07:04:26 -0700

"Elden E. Martin" wrote:

> Does anyone have a salsa recipe that also uses tomatillos?  I have a plant
> in the ground that is going to give me babies in a few weeks and I want to
> create!! er-cook with them.  I have plenty of heat and I want to experiment.

I use a recipe I learned from 'Two Hot Tamales' (don't think it's on the TV Food
Network anymore, by the Borders Grill people).

It's something like:

7-8 'normal' sized tomatillos
1 large white onion
1 normal-sized cilantro bunch
Peppers (usually 2-4 serranos)
1-3 cloves of garlic
approx 1/2 tsp salt

Remove husk, clean and cut into quarters the tomatillos.
Peel the onion, cut into quarters or smaller
Clean the cilantro, and cut the bottom third or so off.
Clean and cut in half the peppers.
Puree everything together in a blender, adjust the salt to taste

I used to just clean serranos and use the entire pepper, retaining
the seed-flesh inside.  Now, I find that I like taking the extra time
to remove most of the seed-flesh and use many more peppers to
restore the heat level, it gives a much more distinctive serrano
flavor.  You can also use jalapenos or whatever else floats your
boat.  I suspect habs might overpower this salsa but it's a worth
a try, I suppose.

Actually, come to think of it, I haven't watched the TV Food Network
much at all since moving last year.  Wonder what I'm missing...

Dana  K6JQ
dana@dioxine.com