Re: [CH] OT- Artichokes

Scott Peterson (scottp4@mindspring.com)
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 01:28:15 -0700

At 10:16 PM 4/26/2001, you wrote:
>On 26 Apr 01, Alexjojo@aol.com wrote:
>
> > I tried making Artichokes for the first time tonight - I boiled them
> > in a few ingredients that I got out of one of my cookbooks  (bay leaf,
> > oil, salt, peppercorns, vinegar and garlic)         problem is I'm not
> > really sure how to eat these guys.   I peeled off the outer layers and
> > stem before boiling - any other advice?

Don't overdo artichokes until you are used to them.  Clean the end off of
the stem and any ragged leaves.  Some people will also cut off the other
end about 1 to 1 1/2 inches down but I prefer not to. Put them in boiling
water with a little salt. Sometimes I'll add some lemon or lime
juice.  Cook for 30-45 minutes until a fork put in at the base goes in
cleanly and without resistance.

Then, as was said, they are finger food.  Pluck the petals (it is a flower
after all) and suck off the meat at the base of each one.  They are good
with mayonnaise or butter. Chiles or chile powder can be added to taste.

When you get down to the flimsy petals that don't have much on them, just
pull them off and discard them.  What remains is the heart.  Clear the
white material from the face of it with a knife or a spoon and then eat the
rest of the heart like the leaves.

                          		Scott Peterson
--
There has been a great proliferation of lawyers
in the past 20 years, just as there has been a