Re: R: [CH] California Wines-perfection w/Chiles

Uncle_Dirty_Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Wed, 02 May 2001 18:21:23 -0500

mstevens@exit109.com wrote:

> At 09:34 PM 5/2/01 +0200, Diavolillo wrote:
> >Hi you, Mary-Anne
> >do you know that Zinfandel's origins are in Puglia? In Gioia del Colle and
> >Manduria, near Adriatic and Jonic sea.  Under very dry and windy hills of
> >"Murgia"
> >Zinfandel is OUR "Primitivo"!

> It's been my understanding that the origins of Zinfandel have never been
> completely nailed down.  I've heard speculation that the vines originated in
> Hungary or Austria.  This is the first time I've heard claims that it is of
> Italian descent.

The claim that Zin is really Primitivo has been around for years. It has
been proven, disproven, and disputerd with great smugness and glee
depending on who was goring whose ox. Then some science johnnies got
down to looking at the dna of the respective grapes. And they are
cousins - but, not necessarily close cousins. I think the Italians just
want to cash in on the expanding Zinfandel market - since they market
their Primitivo wines in the US as Zinfandel... which they are close to.
Close, but no cigar!

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider