Re: R: [CH] California Wines-perfection w/Chiles

Dana H. Myers (dana@dioxine.com)
Wed, 02 May 2001 14:04:27 -0700

DNA testing pretty strongly indicates that Zinfandel and Primitivo are
indeed the same grape, though California Zin has mutated somewhat since
it was brought here.  Further, most research pretty firmly suggests that
Zinfandel/Primitivo indeed originated in Hungary or nearby.

More on topic, I think California Zinfandel often makes a good match
to spicy foods that are richer/heavier; a pizza loaded with a rich tomato
sauce, or something covered in mole sauce and melted cheese.  Some of
my favorite Zins are from Folie a Deux (series of Amador County bottlings,
including the really pumped Harvey Vineyard virago), Claudia Springs (esp.0
the Rhodes Vineyard), and, at a very attractive price, the R.H. Phillips/Kempton
Clark Lopez Ranch Zin (only $8 at local Cost Plus).  Many other fine Zins are
available, these are just some particular faves of mine.

However, dry Gewurztraminer seems to be a better match in general to
lighter spicy foods; such as spicy Asian cooking, or grilled chicken tacos
with a fresh pico sauce.  I especially like the delightful Gewurztraminer
from Lazy Creek Vineyards, and also enjoy what Thomas Fogarty Winery
does with the grape.

But, most importantly, I've found that pairing spicy food with wine has
tempered my use of chiles; rather than boosting heat just because I
can, I'm more interested in finding elegant and interesting flavors, such
as those that come from Calvin's.

Dana