Re: [CH] chile beer

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Sat, 12 May 2001 10:21:02 -0400

At 10:06 AM 5/12/01 +0200, Emile & Dewi wrote:
>Hi Pods,
>
>I was reading through the tv guide when I saw a little article about chile
>beer. It is from 'Cave Creek' from Arizona. The motto is: 'Lime is for
>wimps.'The label is yellow with black letters and a green chile pepper. Has
>anybody heard about or tried this beer? It is beer with a whole chile pepper
>stuffed in the bottle. I hope it'll be available in Holland soon so I can
>broaden my chile item collection which is still pretty small.

This stuff is not really that good.  I suppose as a chile collectible it
has it's place, but I've had it a few times and was not impressed.  I had a
good dark chile homebrew a few years ago at an Annapolis hotluck.  Cave
Creek is a mild lager like Budweiser with a chile pepper put in the bottle.
 There is moderate heat but also that grassy taste of a green chile like a
jalapeno.  If you can get the chile out of the bottle it is very soft and
tends to fall apart.  Most all of the heat and flavor is leached out of it
and is no greater than that of the beer itself.

Most of all to me it seems to represent the antithisis of what beer is
supposed to be.  I can enjoy eating chiles and drinking beer, but I don't
want the beer as the source of the burn.  I also object to having limes
stuffed in my beer, though I can understand doing this with Corona, who's
flavor you want to avoid anyway.  When at local Mexican restaurants I have
to specify "No Fruit" as they will stuff limes into any beer you order.

                    =Mark "Runs With Scissors" Stevens

                @ http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens @
                                  @ ICQ# 2059548 @

                          Dyslexic, Agnostic, Insomniac...

             Lying awake at night, wondering if there is a Dog.