Re: [CH] WHAT MAKES HORSERADISH HOT?

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:39:48 -0400

At 01:16 PM 6/2/01 -0700, Art Pierce wrote:
>>Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 00:10:54 -0400
>>From: "Mark Barringer" <mdogdrum@earthlink.net>
>>Subject: [CH] WHAT MAKES HORSERADDISH HOT?
>>
>>I have a fondness for a local horseradish producer called Brede's.
>>This company has produced the stuff here in Detroit for years.  Why is this
>>stuff so sinus clearing when you first open it?  Why does it mellow with
>>age, unlike some salsas and hot sauces.  Are there capsaicinoids in
>>horseradish?

The reason that horseradish mellows with age is that the compounds that
give the hear are unstable and volatile.  Over time they either break down
or evaporate.

>Mark,
>
>NO, what hot is a few of the many mustard oils (isothiocyanates) in lots
of different plants.
>In horseradish, the main two are allyl isothiocyanate & 2-phenethyl
isothiocyanate.
>Many isothiocyanates have cancer-preventing & inhibiting properties.

                    =Mark "Runs With Scissors" Stevens

                @ http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens @
                                  @ ICQ# 2059548 @

                          Dyslexic, Agnostic, Insomniac...

             Lying awake at night, wondering if there is a Dog.