Re: [CH] cat-shooters

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Sun, 03 Jun 2001 08:28:38 -0700

Luke Speer wrote:

> Here in Oz
> Cats in the open are considered Feral animals...

I've got what seems to be a feral cat (none of my neighbors claim
it as theirs) that spends most of the day sleeping on the bank behind
my backyard.  I don't know where it goes at night, but I do know the
rodents have been kept in check since he/she showed up.  It doesn't
bother me or my salsa garden, so we live in a mutual respect sorta
situation...we keep a discreet distance from each other.

I've seen mention on the CH list of cats eating someone's chile
plants.  I've never had such a problem...rodents, yes but cats, no.
My only quarrel with the neighborhood domesticated cats that roam
about during the day is their using the freshly tilled soil around
my newly planted chiles and tomatoes as their personal liter box.
They scratch and deposit and sometimes damage the new plants in
the process.  Some might consider such deposits as free fertilizer,
but I consider it disgusting to come up with a handfull when I'm
pulling weeds from around my plants.

I am intrigued by the mention on the CH list of using a blowgun with
non-toxic dayglow paint pellets to discourage and mark the offending
cats.  I've got a son-in-law who is a paintball competition enthusiast,
I'll have to check with him about the possibilities...

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/