Re: [CH] Lemon Bars

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 06:32:10 -0700

Marilyn Reese wrote:

> It was the lady with the short brown hair (can't remember her name, she
> works with Curt), and it was tabasco.

Ancho chile with it's rich "chocolaty" character paired with
chocolate, now that seems a likely combination.  But, Tabasco?
That's interesting.  I wouldn't have thought of tart 'n tangy
(assuming the sauce and not the chile) Tabasco in combination
with chocolate.  It worked, though.

> >From what I remember, Susie made the Coconut Thai soup, I think So-Cal Suz
> made the chile, you made the tamales (I REALLY want to know what that red
> sauce was),

Being an omnivore, I usually make a meat broth based red chile
gravy to put on my tamales.  Since the green corn and black bean
tamales I brought were essentially vegetarian (not vegan, though,
they did have butter and cheese in 'em) I decided to make veggie
based sauce instead of my usual meat based chile gravy.  I started
with the ingredients for a basic enchilada sauce and then added
things until it tasted something like what I wanted.  Here's what
I did...

Salsa Roja

     3 - dried ancho chiles
     2 - dried New Mexico chiles
     1 - dried chipotle chile
     1/2 - onion, chopped
     2 - cloves garlic
     1 tablespoon - coarse salt
     1/2 teaspoon - ground cumin
     1 teaspoon - crushed Mexican oregano
     ½ teaspoon - sugar
     2 tablespoons - chile oil
     1 tablespoon - masa harina
     2 teaspoon - Mexican chocolate
     1 cup - vegetable broth
     2 cup - tomato sauce

On a hot comal, lightly toast the New Mexico and ancho chiles
until softened and slightly blackened.  Tear the chiles into
large pieces, shaking out and discarding the seeds.  Place the
chiles in a container, cover with water, heat over medium heat
to a boil.  Turn down heat, simmer for 5 minutes and then turn
off heat.  Let chiles soak in hot water for about 30 minutes.
Dice the garlic cloves, sprinkle with the coarse salt, and crush
with the tines of a dinner fork until well mashed.  Saute the
garlic and onions in 1 tablespoon chile oil. Stir in about 1/4
cup of the chile-soaking water and then pour into a blender.
Add the chiles and soaking water to the blender and puree until
smooth.  Heat 1 tablespoon chile oil in a skillet.  When oil
is hot, gradually add masa harina while constantly stiring
to form a thin roux,  Pour blended chiles into the sauce pan.
Add vegetable broth, tomato sauce and spices.  Bring to a boil,
lower heat and simmer until the sauce is thickened as desired.
Toast chipotle chile on a hot comal until black and slightly
charred.  Coarsely crush and stir into sauce.

> ...Curt and Susie's kids made the 7-layer dip.  Dr. Bob made the
> riata, and one of the pastas, Rob Lusk made the other pasta.

Uh, oh...it appears I missed something.  I only recall ONE pasta
dish on my plate.  Bummer...

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...